Tuesday, October 8, 2013

So this is love...

  I am a mom!  And I never thought I could be so in love.
 At my last doctors appointment they told me that the baby wasn't progressing the way he should before labor and that I should be induced.  I really wanted to wait but they suggested this was the best for the baby.  On September 10th we entered the hospital at 7:30 P.M.  By the  time they got me all hooked up they told me that I was already having contractions every 3 minutes.  I couldn't even feel them and thought the whole thing was crazy.  After a couple hours they induced me as planned.   Not long after being induced I could really feel the contractions as they got closer.  They gave me some pain relief but two hours in when  it was time to get the same drug again I told them it wasn't strong enough.  They didn't believe me and thought I was over exaggerating.  The nurse who did my IV was amazing and decided to just randomly check on me at that time.  She checked me and told me I was totally dilated and needed my epidural if I was going to have one.  They quickly did the epidural and let me tell you I love modern medicine.
  After some time the baby still wasn't dropping into place so they decided to break my water.  That still didn't get him to drop so they started to monitor his heart rate more closely.   After contractions his heart rate would drop which is normal but it was slow to get back up to where it should have been.  They told me they were going to call my doctor and that they thought I may need to get a c section.  When Dr. Sauter got to the hospital he told me that he suggested a cesarean.  I told him I didn't want one and he said we could wait an hour and see if the baby would finally drop.  He did not so the doctor asked again what I wanted to do.  He said we could wait another hour cause the baby was doing alright.  But we knew it was time and knew what we needed to do.  
  The night before Paul had given me a priesthood blessing.  During it I felt peace in my heart even though I knew I would have to have a c section which I really didn't want.  Paul too felt the same but we were in denial so we didn't discuss it until we were told we needed to make a decision.
  We told the doctor we were ready for the c section and before we knew it I was being prepped for surgery.  We went in and minutes later Jude Wallace Tatum was born on September 11th, 2013 at 8:47 am 6 pounds 7 ounces and 19.5 inches long.  He was perfect and in that moment I was completely and incandescently happy.


1 comment:

  1. That is a sweet little baby you got there! I really like his middle name too. Also, I love your use of the word 'incandescently' - it always reminds me of Keira Knightly in Pride & Prejudice :)

    ReplyDelete